19.3.12

BEAUTIFUL SCRAPS

I thought this time I would try something new. Something a little more large scale. I have seen a few tutorials on how to crochet t-shirt rugs, but I don't have any t-shirts to spare. However... I did have an old ripped fitted bed sheet! I simply cut out the elastics and began my first strip.
1. Cut your sheet/shirts into one inch strips.
2. Fold the ends of your strips in half.
3. Cut a slit on the folded side, careful not to cut all the way through your strip.
4. It should look like this!
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for both ends of every strip.
6. Place the end of one strip on top of your last strip, matching up the slits, and find the end (arrow) of the strip that you place on top.
7. Push the end through the bottom of both slits.
8. Gently pull all the way through the slits.
9. With a final and gentle tug, the two strips should be snug together, without a big knot to get in your way.
10-12. Start to crochet your rug! I am using a 11.5mm hook, however you could probably use a much larger hook like 16mm. Don't ask me what my pattern is... I have no idea. My advice on that is to use some everyday wool and practice by making coasters. That's what I did!

My rug is still a work in progress, (I only started on Friday night) but both Mark and I tried standing on it with our bare feet, and it is soooo squishy and soft! I'll post pictures of the end result as soon as I finish! I have a lot more strips to cut first... better get to it!
Hope this helps! Give it a try! And if you do, let me know how it goes, and send me your photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment