23.10.14

INDIAN SUMMER


One of the elders in our community said to Mark, that "this is what we call an Indian summer". The past two weeks have been nothing but warm weather and sunshine, which is quite a change from the last two years we have lived up north. We had a little rain today and they're calling for more tomorrow, but I won't complain! The longer the snow stays away, the better!

We have taken the opportunity that the weather has given us to enjoy as much time as we can exploring the outdoors to take in the sights, the smells, the sounds, and the incomparable crunch of fallen leaves. Thaddeus comes alive when he is free to explore the world around him and experience many of these senses for the first time. It is a marvel and a mama's joy to watch him as he makes each new discovery. 


My heart and soul are so so happy that we are actually experiencing a proper autumn up here this year. This week I've been noticing the overwhelming, beautiful smells of the season. It brings me right back home to Ottawa where autumn seems most magical. Outside - the ground, the wet leaves, the chimney smoke in the air; and Inside - the baking, the pumpkin chai tea, the scented candles. I close my eyes as often as I can remember - to inhale and exhale as slowly as I can - taking it all in before it's gone. Autumn smells so good. Oh how blessed we are to live in this creation!


Thaddeus' molars have been coming through on top and bottom gums, and he has been one really tough cookie. Today was the first time since they have been pushing their way through that I have given him any Advil, and it has been weeks now. He has been extra fussy and has gone back to two naps a day. I won't pretend that my patience wasn't tested more than once today! But there is truly no better pain relief and calm-down strategy than getting outside. It has quickly become my first choice of soothing methods, and if you are ever at a loss with your fussy or teething toddler/baby, I highly suggest you give it a try!


I hope that you too have been able to enjoy the season, and I urge you to take advantage of all that autumn has to give before she is gone. Sleep well, and have yourselves a very happy Friday friends! And we are sending out a very special happy birthday wish to Papa Ardley!

No comments:

Post a Comment