10.10.14

HOLDING ON TO FALL


October keeps hold of some of the last precious moments of fall here in Beauval. I would not be at all surprised if the first days of winter are upon us by the end of the month. We are making most of the sunny, snow-less days and preparing for the long winter ahead. All the winter gear has been organized in our front closet and mudroom, as we are now adding a layer or two when we venture outside. Our spare bedroom is half way finished being cleaned out and the next step is to arrange all the furniture to make room for baby number two. 

We've been talking to Thaddeus quite a bit about the baby growing in my belly, and he seems to be catching on. He probably understands more than we think he would. We are all loving Baby On The Way and What Baby Needs by Dr. Sears. If you are expecting a new baby and looking for some good reads for your children, I highly recommend these books. They are full of helpful information for children of all ages!

Lately, Thaddeus has been falling asleep for all his naps on my belly. He always asks me to "open" (lift) my shirt so he can see baby sister. He loves to rub his hands over my belly and snuggle his cheek on my warm skin as we rock together in the glider. Now that he has felt her move a few times, he has been asking me throughout the day if "baby move?", and to be honest, I sometimes make my tummy jump on purpose because he gets so excited! But I think it also helps him understand that there really is someone in there. It really is the sweetest thing. 

I can't say enough how much I am enjoying this season of life. It's really busy, and I still feel some fear creep on me every once and a while, but overall I am having a blast. I am so blessed and I love my growing family so much. Plus, it's really nice that the past few days have actually felt like fall. After my last post about how October was my favourite month, it snowed. Thank goodness it has warmed back up again, even if just for a little while. I also got my David's tea order (thanks M!) this week and my morning cup of Pumpkin Chai tea has seemed to make things even better. I've been letting it steep extra long, because the smell warms my home and my heart. Oh fall, please don't go too soon!

"O hushed October morning mild, 
Thy leaves have ripened to the fall; 
Tomorrow's wind, if it be wild,
Should waste them all. 
The crows above the forest call; 
Tomorrow they may form and go. 
O hushed October morning mild, 
Begin the hours of this day slow. 
Make the day seem to us less brief. 
Hearts not averse to being beguiled, 
Beguile us in the way you know. 
Release one leaf at break of day; 
At noon release another leaf; 
One from our trees, one far away."

 -   Robert Frost, October


No comments:

Post a Comment