14.10.14

AUTUMN CRAFTING



Making crafts with a 15-month-old isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world. While he is slightly more interested than he was last month, I must say I do look forward to the day when a hand will stay still long enough to trace it, paint isn't ingested, paper isn't ripped and the crayons stay at the table. But, 'tis the season, and it's special in it's own way. Thaddeus' attention doesn't usually hold long enough to finish a project in one go, so we are always going back and adding on. A true artist's work is never finished! It also takes a little imagination on my part to complete something like this autumn  hand-print wreath.

I first took out a few pieces of fall-coloured paper and we scribbled on them with some crayons. That was one day weeks ago! Then, we happened to visit daycare one morning when they were doing an apple print craft. We managed to make a few apple prints, but settled with hand prints for the most part. Out of those hand prints, I was able to trace and cut out more hand prints from our coloured paper. Because trying to trace Thaddeus' hand on a piece of paper was pretty much impossible. Cheating perhaps? Hmm, I'll go with resourceful.

And then of course, I did the rest. I cut out his hand prints and glued them to a ring I made out of cardboard. It would have probably been easier to use a paper plate, but I didn't have one. Turned out great though, I think! I'm sure I'll be putting it up for years to come.

We've also been doing quite a bit of colouring. We don't have a printer, and I need to get to the library to print out some colouring pages! For now, I make them myself with a black sharpie. It works! I'm also hoping to pick up some paints this week in the city so we can start experimenting with those as well! Next up though, I plan on making some play-dough, and some salt-dough Christmas decoration. We'll see how that all goes!

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and a great start to a short week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment