15.6.12

RECIPE: OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CAKE

Made this today for the Jericho Road pasta dinner and dessert auction which will be held tomorrow. I made my very favourite cake: Oatmeal Chocolate Cake - a recipe I got from one of Mark's former high school teachers.  I lent my camera to my parents, so these pictures have been taken with my BlackBerry. Anyway, this is the first time I've ever tried to make a cake look a little fancy. Not too shabby I'd say! I used this tutorial that I found on Pinterest for the icing. It was pretty easy to do! I don't have any special cake icing utensils, so I simply stuffed a bunch of icing in a large Ziploc bag, tied an elastic tight around the top, and cut a teeny hole in the corner. Worked like a charm (DIY here). Anyway, here's the super simple recipe. You're going to LOVE this cake. (I doubled the recipe for the cake shown in the pictures, and stuffed the middle perimeter with raspberries, and topped it off with some more!)

Oatmeal Chocolate Cake

1/2 C oatmeal
1/2 C butter (cut in small chunks)
1 C boiling water
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 C brown sugar
1 C flour
4 Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1. In a large bowl, pour boiling water over oatmeal and butter. Mix well, ensuring butter is completely melted.

2. Beat eggs, add brown sugar and all other ingredients. Mix, mix, mix!

3. Bake at 350F in a 9x9 inch pan for 40 minutes.

Icing

1/4 C softened butter
3 C icing sugar
2-3 Tbsp cocoa
2 Tbsp milk

Blend!

No comments:

Post a Comment