25.4.13

THURSDAY THINGS

1. Spring has sprung. Well, for today. On Tuesday night we had a crazy flash snow storm. Like, a white out blizzard for about half an hour, followed by clear skies and sunshine. Really strange. Although most of the snow is gone, I still think we will have some snow well into May. Which of course, is ridiculous. Until then, our rubber boots are making many appearances lately!

2. I love homemade things. Whether it be a food you would normally just buy at the grocery store, decorations for your home, or birthday cards, I love them. I think what I love about homemade things is partially the fact that it brings purpose to my days (especially while being a stay-at-home mom-to-be!), as well as the fact that most homemade things help you save money and stay healthy. For example, I recently came across this ridiculously easy to make BODY BUTTER with only 3 ingredients! This recipe has just earned a spot near the top of my must-try list. And now that I am in my third trimester... well the stretch marks could use some extra lovin'!

3. Speaking of homemade things, I don't think I will ever get enough of these NO BAKE ENERGY BITES. Again, a healthy alternative to store-bought granola bars. Although, I still love Fibre 1 bars. A lot. For more of our favourite recipes, check out our RECIPE INDEX.

4. Sometimes I think I am living in a musical. Mostly because Mark doesn't ever stop singing. Ever. Yesterday I'm pretty sure it was literally impossible for him to "say" anything. He instead had to "sing" everything. I'm pretty sure we're going to somehow spontaneously break out into a completely cheesy dance routine that we actually never rehearsed. I'll let you know when that happens.

5. I made a truly amazing discovery last week. I kept getting these annoying emails from Scotiabank, even though I haven't banked with them in years. I usually just filter out those kinds of emails, but for some reason I never did. And now I am SO thankful. I finally read one, and it turns out I still have like 17 free movies worth of banked Scene points. 17 MOVIES! Like, in the theater!! We are headed to Saskatoon for the weekend and can't wait to see 42. I have a feeling I will need to bring a box of tissues. And then next month, The Great Gatsby comes out! We will be going to Saskatoon twice May, so we'll definitely find time to see it while we're there.

VISIT OUR FREE PRINTABLES PAGE TO DOWNLOAD THIS PRINT!

6. This weekend we'll do a bit of baby shopping. I'll hit the 8 month mark next Monday, so the clock is ticking! We're just going to try and stock up with the absolute necessities and then once baby is here we'll worry about the rest. Thankfully, the car seat is here and we hope to get it properly installed in the van very soon! We also just found out that our PHIL&TED stroller arrived at my parent's house in Ottawa! I'm really really excited about it. Another reason to add to the many that are getting us SO excited to go to Ottawa in the summer. Can't wait!

DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR US ON NEWBORN NECESSITIES?

To answer, leave us a comment at the end of this post, or via our CONTACT US page! We'd really appreciate it!

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous25.4.13

    Good morning from Pennsylvania! Just found your lovely blog at Resurrection Fern. You've asked for suggestions for baby things, and my 73 year old way of thinking will sound old-fashioned, but here is what I'd say: Less is Better! For furniture you need only a crib, and later on a high chair of some sort. You already have your car seat and stroller. You'll probably receive baby gifts of clothing, just make sure you have enough undershirts and nighties with a few receiving blankets and plenty of diapers. If you think about it, you really don't need a changing table - you'll have your crib mattress at its highest level, and all changing can be done there - even sponge bathing. You'll need a bath tub, something that will fit into your kitchen sink. Babies grow so quickly, and all the baby furniture you can buy will be outgrown by the end of the first year. Just make sure your crib has passed all safety regulations - and use a pad under the sheets (you need sheets, too!) It always makes me sad to see babies sleeping in a crib with only a sheet between them and the plastic mattress. I hope you have a happy, healthy baby! It doesn't take much to get you through the infant days - enjoy them to the fullest - they go by so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Less is Better" - AMEN! I completely agree. Thank you so much for your comment! It's a good idea to remember that he will grow out of everything by the end of the first year. We were so blessed to receive a really big load of hand-e-down baby clothes, and the drawers are stocked! Also, I added a padded sheet for the crib to my list thanks to you! Take care :)

      Delete
  2. Anonymous25.4.13

    Good morning! I'm so excited to meet baby Westman! So, you're wondering about newborn essentials.... lots of sleepers, diapers (expect to change him about 8 times a day), and receiving blankets (like 10...or more!), we LOVED having a few swaddlers (like the woombie) we found London slept better when swaddled, have plenty of laundry detergent, and even if you'll plan on nursing, have some sample packs of formula on hand in case you do not have enough milk supply, a breast pump is handy too, we found Cetaphil barrier cream was great for baby's face (not everyone washes their clothes in baby detergent, and it helps protect from constant milk on the face), water-proof pads for the crib, and crib sheets (a few of these), care seat, stroller. Also, have PLENTY of meals in the freezer and little snacks available for you to grab all day (and night).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey cuz! Thanks for your advice! I was debating about the necessity of swaddlers... sounds like they could be a life saver!

      Delete
  3. Agree with the less is better!! I rarely use a changing table and we don't have a special bath, but just a foam mat he sits on or lays on in the bath tub (I don't fill it very deep). I do love swaddle blankets for the first few months because they still startle so easy. We use these: http://www.summerinfant.com/Products/Nursery/Swaddle-Me---Speciality-Blankets/SwaddleMe.aspx. I also used a boppy pillow for nursing. All the advice above sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I feel like I am constantly updating my shopping list. We live 4 hours away from the closest Toys R Us so it makes things a little more interesting! Thank goodness for online shopping!

      Delete