14.8.16

#heartmamadiaries | VISITING THE NICU & MATERNITY WARD


On Thursday afternoon, my parents drove from our house to Edmonton to visit the Ronald McDonald House and babysit the kids. Mark and I took the RMH shuttle to the Stollery Children's Hospital to meet with our amazing social worker and take a tour of the NICU. We have almost completed our application to the Kinsmen Telemiracle Foundation in hopes of receiving some funding for our medical expenses. We hope to send it off by Monday.

Please pray that our application for funding will be accepted.

After working with us on our application, our social worker took us on a tour of the NICU where Iver will be spending the majority of his time in Edmonton. The unit is very small and cramped with hardly any privacy. I knew beforehand that this would be the case, but I wasn't expecting the lack of comfort. Every bed has room for only one office-like swivel chair beside it. There are I believe 3 larger, more comfortable chairs for feeding and snuggles that are shared between about 18 other babies. If you want to have some skin-to-skin time or snuggles with your baby, you need to ask for a turn with the chair. This really just breaks my heart. I was at least expecting to be able to hold him and have skin-to-skin time as often as I pleased, or as often as Iver was able. It was a pretty emotional experience imagining myself there with Iver for weeks and weeks. I know it will be a challenge for me to take breaks from the unit and come back to the house for meals and sleep. I know in my head that that is the healthy thing to do, but I still have a hard time wrapping my heart around leaving my baby.

Please pray for my peace of mind, strength, and to remember to take this one day at a time.

In other news, we had a test-run to the maternity ward on Thursday night. As most of you know, I've had some major issues with my gallbladder and was hospitalized for 4 days at the end of May with a bad infection. Since then, I've been on a 0-fat diet. Well, Thursday night I had an attack for the first time since May. It was pretty scary, and surprising. After quickly packing the hospital bags, just in case I went into labour, we rushed to the hospital at 2:30am. They sent me straight to labour & delivery and hooked me up to a non-stress test. Thankfully, the attack subsided really really quickly (usually they will last an average of 6 hours) and baby and I both ended up being fine. Just a small flare up which the doctor seemed to think was simply due to hormone changes as my body gets ready for delivery. We left the hospital at 7:00am, and headed back to the house for a much-needed nap.

Please pray for no more flare ups!

I have an ultrasound booked on Tuesday, and an appointment with my OB on Wednesday. I'll be 39 weeks on Friday, and if everything with my pregnancy remains the status quo, the plan is still to induce me on Monday, the 22nd.

Please pray for a healthy last week of pregnancy and for continued peace as we get closer to my delivery date. 

Please pray for the medical team that will be working with myself and Iver, and for an uncomplicated delivery.

Thank you for your prayers! Not much longer now...

No comments:

Post a Comment